New Year's 2010

New Year's 2010

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Get Your Fingers Dirty

As I mentioned previously I belong to several Yahoo card making groups.  One of my groups (Just Cards) had a soot technique swap.

To do this technique you will need some glossy paper or cardstock (I used photography paper), a rubber stamp, a candle and some clear acrylic spray fixative.  I always find tutorials helpful and here are some that explain this technique...

I found that it took a bit of practice until I got enough soot built up.  Once you have enough soot you apply the stamp.  This is a little tricky as well to get a good imprint, so take your time.  I sprayed immediately after stamping and when it was dry I trimmed around the imprint.

I chose a grey colored cardstock to simulate moonlight.  I backed the imprint with black paper and then attached  it to the upper left corner so that I could extend the image with a black colored pencil.  I used a ruler and lightly drew lines to match the stamp.  I then colored the sections to match the picture.

I did a search for a picture of a full moon. I cropped the one I found and added the first verse of a poem I found by Walter de la Mare entitled Silver.
Slowly, silently, now the moon 
Walks the night in her silver shoon;
This way, and that, she peers, and sees
silver fruit upon silver trees;

No comments:

Post a Comment